Thursday, June 20, 2013

Generational Divide

The quote that stood out to me the most from Reeves' article "Do Generational Differences Matter in Instructional Design?" was:
 
Using a much more rigorous approach to generational research than other generational researchers, Twenge (2006) presents convincing evidence that most of today’s American young people (which she labels Generation Me or GenMe) have been raised to think that they will be highly successful, even stars, although the reality is that they will find it harder than ever to get into and afford the best colleges, find a high-paying, personally-rewarding job, and buy a decent home.
 
As a high school teacher, I see the effect of this in the classroom.  It is hard to set the stage for students that are use to having this mindset.  I have students that come into class, don't work, and expect to pass the class.  It is the last week or two that they start to work and think that they should pass because of it.   However, I think that impacts more than just instructional design; I think it effects what is done to try and motivate the students to work hard for their own achievement.  Intrinsic motivation seems to lack because they receive extrinsic motivation no matter what they accomplish.

Don't get me wrong, I think that there is a time and a place for telling kids that they can be anything that they want.  I want my kids one day to aim for the stars and not feel like they are limited in the deal that life dealt to them.  However, there is a way to promote goals and achievement of those goals without giving students an unrealistic view of the world that is sometimes presented today.

1 comment:

  1. Alicen, I see you have really dug into these readings and had many varying reactions to them. It is interesting that it was just this morning I was asking a couple of your colleagues why more people hadn't grabbed on to this research-based finding about this generation of students. Why do you think that has been?

    ReplyDelete