Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Digital Natives and their Music

I need to say that Prensky's "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants" article is one the I support whole-heartedly!  And I think that the point of the article is one of the things that we as educators need to remember.  Our students' brains are programmed differently and we as teachers need to adjust accordingly.  That often causes teachers to cringe (those that are digital immigrants) however what is being asked is not to change the content, just the way that it is presented.

While working on assignments in class this past year, my students often asked if they could listen to music on their phones or ipods while working.  At first I was hesitant to allow it.  What if they started texting?  What if they were playing games?  What if it only made them even more off-task?  I decided to try it one day and the results were amazing.  With only a few guidlines (just as it needs to be on your desk 100% of the time and if there was any question that they were using it for something other than music it would go away - no questions asked) my students worked better than when the technology remainded in their bags.  That was the first time that I truely felt that I was smacked in the face with the fact that their brains are different.

I consider myself pretty tech savvy however when it comes to having to focus on something, the TV is turned off, music is turned off, Facebook is turned off, and people talking around me, no way!  However for my high school students, it is the exact opposite.  Because they have grown up in a setting where they are constantly exposed to various forms of media, it can tend to create the background noise environment that their brains are built around.  Within the required time, the sheet was finished and their answers were correct.  Needless to say the next time they asked, I was more than willing to allow them to provide the background that they needed to stay focused on the task at hand!

5 comments:

  1. I think it is great you allowed your students to listen to music. I will never forget a teacher I had in high school who use to put on the radio for us on fridays. It was just this great break from the "school" enviroment, none of us knew why but we all worked just a little bit better with music in the background. To this day I still enjoy reading and working with music on. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicen, I have to take issue with the statement "Our students' brains are programmed differently and we as teachers need to adjust accordingly." Recent research using functional MRI technology (fMRI) shows that exposure to technology has no impact on the way this generation of students' brains are wired. This is just a myth that Prensky has perpetrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allowing music in the classroom is such an easy transition as a teacher. It doesn't take extra training, it doesn't cost the school district any extra money, and for many students this helps them concentrate and stay on task. You did a great job at putting boundaries on the ability to listen to music, which is also key and keeps the students in line and not to use the freedom incorrectly. I have done the same thing in allowing music but require the device to be on top of the desk so I can see it at all times. It helps manage the class. Students who struggle have been more apt to ask questions, because not everyone is listening (at least this is true for me), and it's a great way to connect with students. Without connecting with students at some level, we can't teach them.
    Thanks for a great blog!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is cool that you allowed your students to listen to music while they were working. I respect your skepticism as I would also question whether or not they would be working but on the other hand you gave them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this would not always work with all groups or situations but it does provide an option to allow a little freedom for the students as long as it does not get abused. Great idea!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your post was thought-provoking, as I also allow my students to listen to music, but not because I agree with Prensky's view that students's brains are programmed differently.I think that my students like to listen to music and work at the same time because they have practised multi-tasking so often, that they view this as normal.It has nothing to do with "programming", but rather preference. One of the strengths of a great teacher is to recognize what works for their students, and you demonstrate that quality nicely! Thanks for remembering students are individuals!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete